Seismic Monitoring Services Division
This individual will play a key role in prototyping, coding, testing, integrating and supporting new data processing modules which form the backbone of our turnkey seismic solutions with applications including induced seismic monitoring, infrastructure monitoring and surface imaging of hydraulic fracturing completions.
Reporting to the Science and Development Manager within the Seismic Monitoring Services Division, this is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and experienced scientist with scientific software development experience to join our growing team.
- Participate in planning technology development discussions
- Manage the successful transfer of research initiatives related to geophysical data processing into a production environment
- Participate in the development and evaluation of new geophysical data processing techniques as well as software design and management practices
- Coordinate and implement the transfer of geophysical technology from research and development into production environment
- Develop and own automated test strategies
- Work with research and production teams to prioritise feature development and bug fixes
- Continuously evaluate data processing modules against production data analysis workflows and suggest feature and usability improvements
- Work with IT and operations teams to ensure that the necessary systems are in place to utilise new and existing processing tools
- Provide technical support and assistance to geophysicists in the research and production teams
- Undertake minor independent research projects relating to the processing of passive seismic data
- Create new processing tools for use within Nanometrics operations
- Expand and improve upon existing processing methods
- Evaluate and incorporate or adapt external toolsets for use with Nanometrics datasets
- Provide documentation and training to research and operations staff in usage of new processing tools
- Lead implementation and integration of new geophysical data processing techniques into client project workflows
- Minimum MSc in computationally driven science (such as Engineering, Physics, Geophysics etc.)
- 2-3 years of industry work experience
- Ability to design, perform and evaluate tests in order to critically assess the impact of new technology and methods
- Proficiency in math and signal processing
- Experience using Python for scientific computing and or signal processing applications
- Administration level experience with linux (Ubuntu preferred)
- Experience with version control (we use Git)
- Experience working with relational databases (we use Postgres via SQL interface)
- Experience in the automating the execution of data processing tasks
Qualities & Assets:
- Experience working with compiled languages such as C/C++
- Familiarity with CMake, VTK/ ParaView, Eclipse
- Experience working in continuous integration and automated testing environments
- Job control and HPC administration
- Experience in virtual machine construction and deployment
- Experience in code optimization for CPU
- Familiarity with build, test and continuous integration environments
- Knowledge of techniques used in seismic signal processing and or seismic processing software such as Seismic Unix, Madagascar, SEPLib etc.
- Knowledge of JIRA or equivalent issue tracking system
Nanometrics is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Nanometrics is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Due to the large number of resumes we receive, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Nanometrics is an equal opportunity employer and we support a diverse workforce.