Explore our key resources
- New Temp Array, IRIS PASSCAL Sweetwater, TX | Presentation/PosterTo establish a temporary mixed phase broadband seismic array with publically open and available data that will facilitate new research. This was a 6 week study that began on March 11, 2014.
- Network Performance Estimation- Verifying Prediction of MC with Observation from an Earthquake Catalogue | Presentation/PosterWe address the problem of designing a seismic network for monitoring induced seismic events that must meet specific performance criteria. We propose a method to assess a fundamental measure of performance without an earthquake catalogue: magnitude of completeness.
- Nanometrics Posthole Seismometer World-class Performance | Presentation/PosterThe Nanometrics Trillium 120 Posthole (Trillium Posthole) seismometer is designed for subsurface installation to optimize seismic performance while minimizing the cost and logistics of site setup.
- MS Network Performance Est: Avoiding False Negatives Traffic Light | Presentation/PosterIn recent years high pressure fluid injection into rock has become a common process in a number of applications resulting in the potential for triggered seismic events. As such, induced seismicity monitoring is essential in order to understand and limit the hazards of such processes.
- MS Network Perf Est- New Madrid Seismic Zone | Presentation/PosterWe compare predictions of network performance to observations made from an earthquake catalogue. We estimate event spectra using Brune modeling and station noise to predict the magnitude of completeness for a network and compute the location accuracy according to Peters and Crosson (1972). We
- Local Magnitude Formula for Western Alberta | Presentation/PosterWe examine the distance attenuation of peak Wood-Anderson (WA) amplitudes obtained from earthquakes in western Alberta, to develop a regionally-calibrated local magnitude (ML) equation.
- Latest Developments in VBB Deployment | Presentation/PosterBroadband seismology has changed radically over the last 30 years, from researchers with a large seismological apparatus in their basement vaults to deploying a very broadband seismometer on an Antarctic ice sheet in the brief time it takes to shut off and restart a helicopter!
- ISM- BB Seismometer & Geophone Comparison | Presentation/PosterThe risks associated with induced seismicity have risen in prominence with the occurrence of several large earthquakes characterized as induced, which have caused public concern in multiple jurisdictions.
- Direct Burial Posthole in Yukon | Presentation/PosterA new broadband seismograph network for passive seismic imaging of earth structures has been installed in the Yukon using a new Posthole installation method that is now yielding excellent results.
- Direct Burial BB Seismic Instrumentation for Polar Environments | Presentation/PosterThe integrated broadband Meridian Posthole and Compact seismic systems have been engineered and tested for extreme polar environments. Ten percent of the Earth’s surface is covered in glacial ice and the dynamics of these environments is a strategic concern for all.