Explore our key resources
- The empirical relationship between moment (Mw) and local (ML) magnitudes is examined for small events in western Alberta. A comparison of the two magnitude scales indicate that ML attains smaller values than Mw for Mw<3.
- Installation Techniques & Network Performance: Impact of Sensor Installation Techniques on Seismic Network Performance | Presentation/PosterThe magnitude of completeness (Mc) of a seismic network is determined by a number of factors including station density, self-noise and passband of the sensor used, ambient noise environment and sensor installation method and depth.
- SEISMIC NETWORK PERFORMANCE ESTIMATION: Comparing Predictions to Observation from an Earthquake Catalogue | Presentation/PosterWe compare predictions of network performance to observations made from an earthquake catalogue. We estimate event spectra using Brune modeling and station noise to predict the magnitude of completeness for a network.
- Induced Seismicity Risk Management Strategies: Montney Case Study | Presentation/PosterChange of in-situ stresses due to hydraulic fracturing activities may induce earthquakes on critically-stressed faults when pressure pathways exists for communication to the nearby faults.
- Sources of Latency & Associated Design Tradeoffs Final (2) | Presentation/PosterGeoScience BC identified a requirement to better understand the effects of hydraulic fracturing in the Horn River Basin. The dissemination of precise and accurate geotechnical information to the public is the foundation of their work.
- The problem: The collapse of the Napoleonville Salt Dome in August 2012 produced a large sinkhole located 1300 feet from the community of Bayou Corne in Assumption Parish, Louisiana.
- Purpose: To establish a regional network with real-time data streaming for monitoring seismic activity in the province of Alberta.
- Mission Critical CQ Net Cyprus | Case studyWith an average of one catastrophic earthquake every century and one destructive/damaging earthquake every decade, the Republic of Cyprus, Geological Survey Department (GSD), have a mandate to monitor seismic activity for Cyprus and the Eastern Mediterranean in real-time on a daily basis.
- Verification Testing of Trillium 360 | Presentation/Poster